Sunday, June 13, 2010

Krill Fritters

Krill comes in swarm and they are tiny shrimps that doesn't grow any bigger than 5cm. They feed on phytoplankton and survive on cardon dioxide and sun's ray. Even the whale feeds on them. You can read more about Krill here in National Geographic website.

These days you'll find it in Cincalok, which is a melakan dish in where Krill are fermented with rice. I find it very salty and I definitely do not readily have a bottle in my kitchen. Personally preferred the fresh krill.



Krill Fritters with Sambal Belachan ~ simply sedap!


When I was younger, my mum always make Krill omelette as a side dish that compliments the Teochew Porridge. It's very difficult to get Krill these day and many fish mongers in wet market hardly sell it because there wasn't much demand for it. The wet market at my estate did sell it at one stage but being a new estate, young couples do not fancy such 'delicacy'. Prior to my pregnancy, I follow my hubby back to him hometown, Malacca. The house is just about 150m away from the Straits of Malacca. And during the Krill season, we can see lots of set-up stores along the roadsides selling the Krill caught straight from the sea. It can go for RM3 for a Kilogram of Krill. I'll buy and wash them thoroughly before putting them in small bags and freeze it. These could last me for a few weeks.

I was delivering some Nonya Rice Dumpling to my mum and when I stepped into the Kitchen, I saw her washing up a batch of the Krill she bought from the market near her place. As usual, she'll immediately offer to let me have some because she knows that I love Krill.




Ingredients

150g Krill
1 pc Russet Potato (shredded and mixed immediately with minced onion)
1/2 cup Red onion (minced)
1/4 cup Carrot (shredded)
1 tbsp Garlic (minced)
1/4 cup Spring onion (chopped)
1 tsp White ground pepper
1 tsp Salt
2 Eggs
1 cup Self-raising flour
1 tbsp Corn flour
1/2 cup Water

Directions
  1. Combine corn flour, self raising flour, pepper and salt. Add eggs and blend with hand whisk. Gradually add water until the batter is well blended.
  2. Add all other ingredients and mix well.
  3. Heat up oil for deep frying and scoop a large spoonful of krill batter and deep fry until golden brown.
  4. Serve hot with sambal belachan.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...